Salt Lake City Office
963 Folsom Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT 84104-1130
During the winter season when heating is a primary function of the home’s HVAC system, homeowners have to be on higher alert than normal for carbon monoxide leaks. This colorless, odorless, tasteless gas is created when fuel is consumed, such as when your heating system goes to work and can be very dangerous to humans and animals alike.
At Whipple Plumbing, we’re here to help you avoid these kinds of issues. Here are a few areas that will help you detect and prevent carbon monoxide issues in the home.
First and foremost, you should have a cheap, reliable carbon monoxide detector installed in your home. These can be purchased in numerous retail stores for a low price, with several high-quality models that will do the job.
Carbon monoxide detectors function just like a smoke detector, with the ability to pick up even a small leak in the substance and sound the alarm. Choose a model that both plugs into a standard outlet but also has a battery backup in case power goes out. Most homeowners purchase at least one detector for every floor in the home. Place your detectors close to the ground, as carbon monoxide is heavier than air and sinks toward the floor.
Even once you have detectors in your home, you might someday be in a situation where there are high carbon monoxide levels and no alarm to notify you. In this case, it’s important to know the symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure, which include: Dizziness, nausea, headaches, weakness, confusion, chest pain, or loss of consciousness in serious cases. If you fear this is happening, go outside as quickly as possible to get fresh air, and seek medical attention right away.
The best way to prevent these kinds of issues is to have your HVAC system undergo annual maintenance. Small issues that might lead to leaks can be patched up before they become more serious.
For furnace repair or any of our other HVAC services, speak to the pros at Whipple Plumbing today.