We have had some pretty cold weather lately. Here are some tips and tricks to keep your home safe and comfortable this winter season.
How to Keep Your Home Warm
- Inspect fireplaces and chimneys to ensure they are clean.
- Keep blinds and drapes closed when windows are not in direct sunlight.
- Have your furnace inspected to ensure there aren’t any hazardous cracks in the heat exchanger. Install a clean air filter and check the thermostat to ensure it is working correctly.
- Insulate exterior wall outlets and switches with foam seals.
- Make sure no cold air is entering your home through exterior cracks by caulking any holes.
How to Avoid Frozen Pipes
- Disconnect garden hoses and drain them.
- Use foam covers to cover outside faucets.
- Turn off sprinklers and blow compressed air through the lines to drain them.
- Keep garage doors closed
- Insulate exposed pipes with foam insulation.
- Keep cabinet doors open under sinks to allow for air flow.
- When temperatures are extremely low, allow for the faucet furthest away from your main water line to drip.
- Know where your water main shut-off valve is in case of emergency.
If you need assistance getting your furnace inspected or pipes thawed/repaired, feel free to give us a call at 801-355-4433.